David - Product Development
Daikin Europe N.V., Ostend
What does working in the Product Development Department entail?
The Product Development Department is part of the European Development Center (EDC). The EDC comprises several departments and sections which all contribute to the development of new products with the focus on the needs of the European Market:
- The Heating Systems section is responsible for the development of Daikin Altherma, a project that emphasises heat pumps and appliances.
- Compliance checks whether the appliance meets certain (legal) requirements.
- The Electrics section develops or selects the electronic components and handles software developments.
- Air-conditioning deals with applications such as VRV, Sky Air, ...
- EU Product Planning provides the link with sales and prospects new required products for the European market.
“I work in the EDC Air-conditioning section, where a number of projects are in progress. I have to manage and deal with matters within a stipulated time frame. First, a concept is developed and then the specifications are worked out. Each step of a project must be reported in order to later be evaluated. If the tests are positive, the appliance is made ready to go into mass production. The Product Development Department works with other departments and divisions, such as Testing, Manufacturing, Service and Sales.
That is why teamwork is indispensable. In order to develop and put together prototypes, you must rely on your colleagues. They are all free to express their opinions, and a solution is sought jointly. When decisions are taken, they are always supported by sound arguments and everyone stands behind them. That is the famous Daikin consensus model.”